[Koha] Re: user comments

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Fri May 3 18:51:23 NZST 2002

> > Then of course you couldnt see if it was more popular with children or
> > adults, or more often borrowed by institions or normal borrowers etc.
<snip>

> If you need this information you can have a database table like the
> user table but without the actual identifying features when the book is
> returned you use that table to identify the borrower rather than the user
> table. Round the DOB to year of birth, address to suburb and you can still
> do most of your report writing. You might want to even wait until all
> books borrowed by a particular day have been returned and use the same
> anonymised record---then you can even still do "people who liked XXX also
> like YYY" features (collaborative recommendation/filtering).

This is true. Well if its feature thats needed by people, (anonymised data
that is). I can certainly put it on the todo list.

People could anonymise the data themselves by running something like
update issues set borrowernumber=0 where returndate is not null;

Thered be no way then you could match a borrower with a returned item.

So short term fix you could run a cron job to anonymise your issues data
each night, (or every 5 minutes even)

Long term we can put it on the todo list, and we'll get an option to run
with anonymised data into the configuration file

Thanks

Chris