[Koha] RE: Setup costs for database using Microsoft Access

Rosalie Blake rosalie at library.org.nz
Fri May 3 11:20:30 NZST 2002

Hello Aroha, Coralie and Jennifer,
First of all my apologies for non-response to your inquiries, and
thanks to Jennifer for her response which said most of what I would
have said. I broke my wrist (right, dammit!) on the day your inquiry
hit the list, and I am only just back to fulltime work, and clearing the
bottom of my email bin, now.
So I am sorry, but in case it's still useful, here goes:

On 18 Feb 2002, at 11:18, Jennifer Geard wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Aroha asked:
> > ... I too have an iwi that is wanting to catalogue their library and
> > is
> wanting information similar to what you have asked.  They are also
> wanting to know what cataloguing programme would best suit their
> needs.  Does anyone know what is available on the market for small
> libraries such as these and costs?
>
> Is Rosalie Blake on this list?
Yes

> Will she have replied by the time my message goes through?
She should have, but she didn't!

> Two of the options to consider are Koha http://www.koha.org/ and
> Greenstone http://www.greenstone.org/. Both are NZ-built: Koha by
> Katipo in conjunction with Horowhenua Library Trust; Greenstone by
> Waikato University's NZ Digital Library Project in conjunction with
> UNESCO and the Humanity Libraries Project. Both are open-source,
> issued under the GNU public licence. Both software packages are
> available free of charge.
>
> Note that you'll need one computer that runs Linux if you want to run
> Koha. Greenstone comes in versions for Windows and Unix (the Unix
> version works on Linux).

Koha for Windows NT is working now. I've taken the liberty of
posting this reply to the koha list, where the techies who know about
such things lurk. If you want to know more about running Koha
under Windows, a message to the koha list will bring results, I'm
sure.

You may be interested that Te Wananga o Raukawa is installing
Koha in their library in Otaki. Katipo is (I think) helping them with
their installation and setup.

You can contact katipo at www.katipo.co.nz and join the koha list by
following links on that site.

Cheers,