[Koha] user comments

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Fri May 3 16:06:29 NZST 2002

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 08:08:27PM +0300, Ville Huhtala said:
> Hello,
>
> how up-to-date http://hlt.katipo.co (or opac) is ? Is it 1.1.2-rc1 ?
> More recent version allows test driving without installation of my own Koha.

Its probably slightly newer than 1.1.2-rc1 .. which isnt actually ready for
public release at all yet. (its getting closr tho)

Its also where i do some testing at times, so is not always the most stable.
But it is a good place to play around to get a feeling for koha.

> Some comments about current test drive installation:
>
> 1. Opac advanced search there are subject search (Dewey) and class
> search (CD roms ... young adult). However, on results page these seems
> to become
> Item type     e.g. Adult Non-fiction (does not match class search ?)
> Class         Dewey number
>
> This seems to be an inconstancy in naming. Confusing.
> search page   results page
> Subject   --> Class
> Class     --> Item type (?)

Yep thats a fair comment, we are doing some work on the search results page
at the moment actually. Ill try to make sure we fix the inconsistencies as
we go.

> 2. relating to previous comment there is "subject" displayed in results
> page but the "subject" on search page is for dewey! Oops, just tested,
> you can use "subject search" for both dewey or subject headings (?)
> Dewey seems to be used for classification and for location, which is
> confusing. Why not change search results to something like this:
>
> [The atlas of Tolkien's Middle-earth (Fonstad, Karen Wynn)]
>
> BIBLIO RECORD
> Subject: | MIDDLE EARTH (IMAGINARY PLACE)
> Item Type         Class   Branch
> Adult Non-fiction 398.234 Foxton
> -----
> BIBLIO RECORD
> Subject: | MIDDLE EARTH (IMAGINARY PLACE)
> Dewey: 398.234
> Item Type         Location
> Adult Non-fiction Foxton 398.234

Hmm i like it, ill see what the librarians on the list have to say :)

> 3. There is something funny in database: "Watt, Be" appears on mosts
> subjects in result page. Also results with only biblio record, rest is
> missing.

Yep, the test database has quite a bit of weirdness in it now. (Comes from 2
years of ppl playing with it :-)) It might be time to tidy it all up

> 4. Intranet search results display Class hyperlinked but opac does not.
> I think that hyperlinking also opacs search results Class can offer
> additional convinient access point to opac users. Same goes for Subject.

Yep, we were trialing the links in the intranet, i think there would be no
arguments in enlivening them in the opac as well.

> 5. Minor usability thingy: on opac home page there is "Search the
> catalogue", search box and "advanced search". So I typed in my search
> word and clicked "Search the catalogue" - and ended up in advanced
> search page. And there is button to start search...

Ah yes, ill leave this one for the designers.

> (sorry for my terrible English)

Its fine, a lot better than my Fijian :)

Chris

025 500 789                                        Katipo Communications Ltd
chris at katipo.co.nz                                          www.katipo.co.nz