[Koha] Re: user comments

carla fr0zen at hotpop.com
Sat May 4 01:34:04 NZST 2002

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to the list and this is a question I can answer! :)  I'm
a librarian in a public library in the United States (I'm trying to talk
them into using Koha).  The reason the library I work at does not keep a
reading history is because of the history libraries have had with law
enforcement here.  If we kept records then law enforcement could demand
them and our policy here is not to give out *any* information on what a
person reads or does in the library.  Since the terror attacks, some
libraries have been asked for reading histories on suspected terrorists
and as far as I've heard no library questioned has kept them.  It really
has nothing to do with librarians looking at what patrons are reading.
We do have voluntary reading histories on homebound patrons, so that we
don't take them books they've already read, but they agreed to allow that.

Hope this helps!

Carla
Otis Library, Norwich, CT