[Koha] Integrating Vision AI / GPT for cataloging in Koha

Karam Qubsi karamqubsi at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 05:35:43 NZST 2024

Hi Mike,

can you share more details about your project?

At the moment the project is a tool required for a research paper I was
invited to participate in with librarians in the University of Nizwa
library ( Oman),

This tool is a must for this research, to have better integration between
AI and the Library system there (koha) and gauge cataloging stats before
and after and evaluate AI benefits to cataloging in both quantity and
quality.

The project is not sponsored by the library or the university , it is just
volunteer work from me so far, to build this tool, I found it interesting
and enjoyable.

Is it open source project?

I love opensource, but unfortunately, it is not open source, or *at least
not yet*,

but anyway at this phase as it is still in development I'm not going to
charge anything, so totally free to try it, if any library here would like
to try this using their own openai key / or gemini key,( you can get free
credits from both ) then I will be happy to help to integrate this tool
with their library. ( get in touch if interested ).

Finally* I may make it open source* if proper support is provided, like if
some company would like to support making this opensource by hiring me to
work on it as an open source project šŸ˜‰, or if a library or few libraries
can sponsor the project, I will be more than happy to make it open source
then,

If not then the project will need a way to support itself and to sustain
and grow,

 Is it possible to test it in my natural language?

Yes, as mentioned if you are interested, I'll get in touch with you within
a few days, so you can try it with your own Koha system. I will host it
somewhere first so you and other libraries can try it.

Thank you.

On Thu, Sep 19, 2024 at 11:06ā€ÆPM Mike D. <black23 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> can you share more details about your project? Is it open source project?
> Is it possible to test it in my natural language?
>
> Thank you. Regards
>
> Michal
>
> čt 19. 9. 2024 v 15:15 odesƭlatel Karam Qubsi <karamqubsi at gmail.com>
> napsal:
>
>> Hello Koha community,
>>
>> Iā€™ve been working on a side project experimenting with AI, and Iā€™ve built
>> something that looks interesting to me. Iā€™d love to see if other members
>> of
>> the Koha community are interested in something similar.
>>
>> You can watch this 35-second demo I recorded:
>>
>> https://youtu.be/vnvxmjTUmGQ?si=-YHqLoyp0VeqRL6L
>>
>> If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> --
>> *Karam Qubsi*

ā€‹*Karam Qubsi*