[Koha] Issue with updated_on in borrowers table and LDAP auth

Betka, Corey A betka at illinois.edu
Sat May 4 10:29:03 NZST 2024

Hello,
	I've inherited a really old install of koha (3.18.11) and I'm trying to get it migrated to current stable. I've figured out most of the database upgrade issues along the way thanks to the mailing list archives and old bug entries, but now I've run into something I can't find a solution for.

Relevant versions:
OS: Ubuntu 22.04
Koha: 23.11.04-4
MySQL: 8.0.36-0ubuntu0.22.04.1

Issue:
When a user is created via LDAP auth to the OPAC, the updated_on field in the borrowers table is set to "0000-00-00 00:00:00" and this makes it fail to display in the Intranet interface, showing a 500 error for that page of Patrons or if you search directly for the patron. If I have the new patron request a change in their record via OPAC and approve it in the Intranet, the updated_on field changes to a current value and then things work as expected. That's obviously not scalable.

We have LDAP auth configured to connect to our campus active directory with the following settings:
   <replicate>1</replicate>
   <update>1</update>
   <auth_by_bind>1</auth_by_bind>
   <mapping>
     <firstname is="givenName"  ></firstname>
     <surname   is="sn"         ></surname>
     <userid    is="sAMAccountName" ></userid>
     <email     is="mail"       ></email>
     <address   is="streetAddress"      ></address>
     <city      is="l"          >Champaign, IL</city>
     <privacy   is=""           >1</privacy>
     <branchcode is=""          >TCC</branchcode>
     <categorycode is=""        >ST</categorycode>
   </mapping>

I've done some slight modification to the logging in Patron.pm and the values that are being logged for updated_on don't make much sense to me:
"updated_on" : { "after" : "SCALAR(0x55fff641bca0)", "before" : "2024-05-03 21:59:40" } }

Any suggestions? Is this a side effect of explicit_defaults_for_timestamp changing in MySQL? Does mariadb handle this differently? I had to use mysql to get past some foreign key issues early in the database upgrade scripts, but am open to migrating to mariadb now that the data can be brought forward.

Thanks,

Corey Betka
Infrastructure Architect

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign │ Student Affairs │ Student Affairs Technology
330 Clark Hall │ 1203 S 4th St │ M/C 548 │ Champaign, IL 61820