[Koha] Use of indicators in field 245

Eric Phetteplace ephetteplace at cca.edu
Thu Sep 19 04:55:10 NZST 2019

Hi Giacomo,

You're right that the second indicator, nonfiling characters, doesn't
really seem to do anything. It's an archaic holdover and probably not
needed with the complicated indexing mechanisms that are available to us
now. It's pretty trivial for machines to skip leading stopwords like "the"
etc. without instruction.

The first indicator is still meaningful, I believe. Having a main entry
under one of the 1XX fields and then a title added entry is enabled by this
indicator. So following this example documentation
<https://www.itsmarc.com/crs/mergedprojects/conser/conser/module_7_4__ccm.htm>
I found:

111 2# $a Federal Management Improvement Conference.
245 10 $a Proceedings of the Federal Management Improvement Conference.

The "title" of the serial is the name of the conference and the 245 is used
as an added entry. I'm not a cataloger so the function of a title added
entry isn't entirely clear to me but a lot  (about half) of our records
have this indicator set to 1.

So our records still use both indicators, however we mainly copy catalog.
It makes sense to keep using the fields especially when it's free like
this. Just because they don't have a lot of importance in Koha doesn't mean
another system won't care about them and it makes the data more consistent
with other MARC repositories.

Best,

ERIC PHETTEPLACE Systems Librarian (he/him)

ephetteplace at cca.edu | o 510.594.3660

5212 Broadway | Oakland, CA | 94618