[Koha] Work-around for fees?

Myka Kennedy Stephens mkstephens at lancasterseminary.edu
Sat Mar 16 03:59:46 NZDT 2019

Hi Joelle,

We are a small academic library and it sounds like our fine structure is
similar to yours. We do not charge faculty fines, but once their items roll
over to long overdue (lost) their accounts are charged the replacement fee.
When long overdue (lost) items are returned, we've noticed that the
replacement fee is removed from the account. For that reason, we do not
write-off these replacement fees. If we do, when the items are returned the
patron account has a positive balance, which creates a whole new set of
problems.

Our solution is to just handle it on a case-by-case basis. Certain staff
can override automatic restrictions on an account with a high balance due
because of replacement fees. When the items come back, the fees disappear.
Yes, this means our ILL account and some of our faculty often have a
balance due on their account. We've accepted that this is just how it is.
For faculty, it can also serve as a reminder of sorts that they do have
items they need to return.

One thing additional you could try is the automatic renewal option. That is
in the circulation and fine rules table. It looks like you can set auto
renewals to apply to specific item types and patron categories. For
example, you could auto renew all books for faculty patrons. This might cut
down on the number of items rolling over to long overdue (lost) - or maybe
it would just delay the process. We don't use auto renew, but it might be
something we try in the future.

Feel free to contact me off list if you want to discuss further.

Regards,
Myka