[Koha] Koha backup vs -SQL backup

Paul A paul.a at navalmarinearchive.com
Fri Jun 21 08:43:24 NZST 2019

On 2019-06-20 11:34 a.m., Indranil Das Gupta wrote:
> On Thu 20 Jun, 2019, 8:13 PM Yatheesh lis, <yatheeshb at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>> 1) what is deferencece B/w Koha backup vs -SQL backup.
> None. It's the same MySQL database if you are talking about the database
> backup generated by koha-run-backups script.

Respectfully, this could be misinterpreted. "-SQL" pure backup is done via:
	mysqldump --user=your_kohadb_username --password=whatever your
koha_db_name > /wherever/backup/koha_dump_whatever

Note that this is best done using the "Koha" owner (not root) and is
agnostic as to whether you use Innodb or Isam as storage engine. I
haven't kept perfect track of all shell commands as 'koha-run-backups
script', but they were designed to do more or less exactly that, but
with a (default 2 day) over-write as a cron job.

> However, the defaults used may
> be different, for example whether syntaxes like "CREATE IF NOT EXIST" are
> incorporated OR not in the backup etc.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with "backup" but with "restore" -- it
is a function of the opposite mysqldump < (rather than >) and is only
[potentially] relevant to *overwrite* a previous, differently
constructed and protected, database.

> 2) I have taken backup through koha and imported other system but it shows
>> only biblio records with out any item details why?

Does your "backup through [k]Koha" show your items? In other words, did
you have an existing library, with biblios and items, that you can
restore?  Or, is it only your "imported other system" that fails (or
even breaks your old, possibly inexistent library)?

Regards -- Paul