[Koha] Importing MARC records with items

John Sterbenz jsterben at umich.edu
Thu Apr 19 00:07:53 NZST 2018

The user manual used to have a great table listing all of the 952 fields,
which ones were required (with a default installation and with the loading
of defaults during the web installer) and which ones were required (for
circulation).  A quick search and I am unable to find that table in the
17.11 version of the manual found on the website under
https://koha-community.org/documentation/.

I used it so much during my migration I made a separate copy of just those
pages.  I don't believe anything has changed here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B__rFSyBuUz1bHpZT25Sd1FKMVRlVXNOOFYxZG9uM2w0U2Vj/view?usp=sharing

Migrating from an Innovative server, I used MarcEdit to create 952 fields
for my item records and then loaded bibs and items at the same time.  This
was a few years ago, but I recall the trickiest part for me was combining
the call number information, previously in two separate subfields in the
bib record, into a single subfield as required by the 952.

John

On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 7:46 AM, Mark Alexander <marka at pobox.com> wrote:

> Excerpts from Sean Carte's message of 2018-04-18 10:44:45 +0200:
> > I have records that I have exported from SirsiDynix Symphony that I'm
> > trying to import into a new instance of Koha. The bib records load, but
> the
> > items are not added.
> >[...]
> > 952
> >
> > *_a*657 GAA V.1
>
> This doesn't look quite right to me.  According to the holdings table
> in the wiki:
>
> https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Holdings_data_fields_(9xx)
>
> 952$a and 952$b should contain the branch codes for owning library
> and holding library, respectively.  Your 952$a doesn't look like
> a branch code, and I don't see a 952$b.
>
> When I imported our Mandarin catalog to Koha, my script set the following
> rather minimal holding fields, and that seemed to be enough:
>
>  942$c - item type
>  952$8 - collection code
>  952$a - owning library
>  952$b - holding library
>  952$c - location code
>  952$d - acquisition date
>  952$o - call number
>  952$p - barcode
>  952$v - price
>  952$y - item type
>
> Note that you need to have previously set up the authorized values for
> collection
> codes and location codes for this to work.

-=<*>=- -=<*>=- -=<*>=- -=<*>=- -=<*>=- -=<*>=- -=<*>=- -=<*>=- -=<*>=-
John E. Sterbenz, Jr.
Senior Associate Librarian
Manager, Technical Services, Collections, and Library Automation
700 East University Avenue
Kresge Hall, 4th Floor East
Suite K4511
Kresge Library Services