[Koha] How are authority records connected with biblio records ?

Michael Kuhn mik at adminkuhn.ch
Thu Aug 10 00:59:18 NZST 2017

Hi David

> I am migrating several million records from an existing vtls system to
> koha.  We are using mariadb, koha 17.05 (have pulled from master
> yesterday ), elastic search 5.4 and plack on debian systems.  As I
> wanted to preserve all the authority to biblio record links  I wrote my
> own migration script based on the relevant koha source.
>
> Searching in the koha authorities intra will find the authority record
> but usually lists the number of biblio records having the auth as zero,
> but not always.  If I check the biblio index in ES the items have the
> correct auth id in the "an" field.  I can find no difference between the
> biblio records in the ES index that are reported as linked to the auth
> record to the ones that are not.  I connect the biblio recs to the
> authorities in the marc21 structure by putting the  koha auth id in
> field 100 sub field 9 (if it is a name auth).  These marc records are
> now in the new biblio_metadata table.
>
> How does koha find the biblio records connected to a paticular auth
> record ?
>
> Is this done dynamically by searching the ES indexes ?
>
> Is this an issue with the zebra database?  Is it still required ?  I
> haven't been loading data into it since we switched to ES.

I don't really know about the differences between Zebra and
Elasticsearch. Also I don't know how you're exactly massaging your data,
of course.

However, using Zebra it is necessary to use Perl script
"link_bibs_to_authorities.pl" to check each bibliographic record in the
Koha database and attempting to link each of its headings to the
matching authority record. The script is also able to do a test run.

Also note the system preferences in Koha menu "Administration >
authorities" as well as "IncludeSeeFromInSearches".

Hope this helps. Someone may correct me if I'm wrong.

Best wishes: Michael