[Koha] Introduction - Hello from Vienna - and first question

Sir_Charles82 sir_charles822005 at yahoo.de
Thu Sep 1 21:11:36 NZST 2016

Hello to all,

my name is Martin, I'm working as an archivist/librarian in Austria/ Vienna
(at the moment preliminary checks were running for the change of our ILS
from Aleph to ALMA and we already implemented RDA) and I have set up KOHA
16.05.03 for the private book collection of me and my wife and also my
parents (est. around 6.000 books plus other media).

So I have already two questions to the community: we have used BookDB2
(spacejock Software) prior to KOHA and had cataloged already around 2,000
books. Can you think of any converter to help import those books to the koha
database?

as of BookDB2, there were 2 possibilities to export data: as *.txt or as
*.html-file. I have played around with the text file, converting it to MS
Excel, re-converting it to txt and then trying the tool MARC-Maker, ending
up designating categories to the text file. But before I'm going to import
those file and possibly crashing my installation, I want to ask the
community, if you see other possibilities to import those data?

Second one: as I'm working with RDA (and MAB2 at the moment, but soon
MARC21) I want to setup cataloging right away with RDA and MARC21. Do you
have any suggestion to me how to set the whole thing up?

Hopefully these were all questions by now but I guess there will be more, as
my wife and I advance in reading the documentation.

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks!