[Koha] LOC Z39.50 Connection configuration setup

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Tue Jun 7 14:24:55 NZST 2016

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 10:09 PM, Decka David <ddavid at lib.unitech.ac.pg> wrote:
> Is there anyone in the community who successfully connect to Library of
> Congress Z39.50 server for copy cataloguing practices or search on port 210?

It works for me when I tested just now, although the LoC Z39.50 server
is known to have occasional outages.

If you have access to the command line on your Koha server, try the
following command:

yaz-client lx2.loc.gov/LCDB

If it can connect at all, you should see something like this:

Connecting...OK.
Sent initrequest.
Connection accepted by v3 target.
ID     : 81
Name   : Metaproxy/YAZ
Version: 1.11.2/5.15.3 7b9b025f4ca925ef5a1a939b989f8b35d3a17a72
Elapsed: 0.431115

If it cannot connect, it may signify that there is a firewall in place
that is blocking access to port 210 on the LoC Z39.50 server.

If it *can* connect, you can try running a search at the "Z>" prompt like this:

Z> f @attr 1=4 "special relativity"

If it works, you should see something like this: in particular, what
you're looking for is whether it returns a non-zero number of hits:

Sent searchRequest.
Received SearchResponse.
Search was a success.
Number of hits: 138, setno 1
records returned: 0
Elapsed: 0.847077

To exit yaz-client, just enter "quit" at the "Z>" prompt.

If you get this far and the yaz-client test indicates that the Koha
server can reach and search LoC's Z39.50 server, then the next thing
to check is the Z39.50 target definitions, which you can find in Home

The entry for the LC Z39.50 server should have values like this:

Server name: LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
Hostname: lxc.loc.gov
Port: 210
Database: LCDB
Syntax: MARC21/USMARC
Encoding: utf8
Record type: Bibliographic

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton
Infrastructure and Added Services Manager
email:  gmc at esilibrary.com
direct: +1 770-709-5581
cell:   +1 404-984-4366
skype:  gmcharlt