[Koha] Koha Maps

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Wed Dec 21 12:59:41 NZDT 2016

On 21 December 2016 at 11:49, Nathan Curulla <nate at bywatersolutions.com> wrote:
> Thanks Chris,
>
> Just for the record, I have never taken the same absolutist approach to this as you have and have never painted myself as doing so. When I do a demo or speak to a library I always say that open is great if it works for you, but if other tools out there work better than go ahead and use them!  If I told libraries that they would be ethically obligated to use open everything all the time then we wouldn’t have any customers and the community would be about 1,000 libraries fewer. There are not always open options and most of us are forced to look at things practically more so than ethically, especially when dealing with something like software. We are not talking about religion here. By your rationale anyone in the community who uses a Mac to code on Koha is a hypocrite and I don’t agree with that. So in short, Im not walking any walk that I don’t talk :) I guess I look at this project from more of a practical point of view rather than an ethical one because I don’t have the luxury to do the latter.

HI All

First of all let me apologise Nate, in no way did I mean my email to
be an attack on you, or anyone, personally. If it came across that
way, I can only apologise.
What I meant is the project should walk the walk, individuals,
libraries and individual organisations can decide for themselves, I
don't presume to tell them. But I do think the project should be as
open as possible. We extol (as a project .. not talking about
individuals again) the virtues of Open on the koha-community.org (no
vendor lock in etc). That's the talk we (as a project) talk, and that
I would like us to walk.

Interesting side note, there was no open option for a library system
before Koha. So sometimes you do just have to build things too :)

Chris