[Koha] Question about running PLACK

Bob Birchall bob at calyx.net.au
Wed Dec 14 13:22:54 NZDT 2016

Hi Martin,
Zebra is Koha's indexing engine.  Check the manual for documentation
about the daemon or the cron job for rebuilds.  In most production
instances, Zebra is updated very frequently. Full rebuilds are needed
rarely.
Koha can now also use Elastic Search though this is still experimental.
Stick with Zebra for now.

Plack is middleware that improves Koha's performance.  As Mirko said, it
has nothing to do with Zebra.

So there has been some confusion in the information the vendor gave you,
or that you received.  Never mind.

If however that vendor is making changes and not contributing those
changes to Koha, that is not unique in the world, but it should give you
pause.  It implies the vendor is making the software available as a
cloud service only.  If they are distributing the software, they must
provide the source code or they will be in breach of Koha's license.
 From the viewpoint of a library choosing a vendor, the relevant
question is whether you want to be part of a world wide community-driven
project, or with a vendor who takes the output of the community's effort
but thinks they'll get some advantage from keeping their own efforts
secret.  That route raises a number of risks for libraries including
using software that has not passed Koha's rather rigorous QA process and
ultimately perhaps becoming locked in to the vendor's fork.

Each library makes that choice for themselves.  There is a list of
vendors at koha-community.org though the project does not endorse
these.  Make your own inquiries including checking Koha's About page (in
the staff client) Release Notes, meeting minutes and mailing lists to
see who is contributing to Koha and speaking with customers of the vendor.

Regards,
Bob Birchall
Calyx