[Koha] Hello from Vermont

Mark Alexander marka at pobox.com
Tue Aug 30 06:00:01 NZST 2016

Excerpts from Joy Nelson's message of 2016-08-29 09:25:05 -0500:
> If you don't have MarcEdit, I would suggest getting a copy.

I did look at that briefly.  It looks like a decent tool, but I was a
bit put off by the Mono requirement.  Plus I wasn't sure it was
capable of doing the regexp matching / mass modification / consistency
checking stuff I'm doing in my own Ruby scripts.

As an example, I've written some code to figure out the Koha item type
from various fields in our MARC records.  I'm learning that our
records are not consistent by any means.  Sometimes a DVD is marked as
such in 245$h (with wildly varying strings), sometimes in 347$b
(again, with lots of variants), and sometimes in 852$h.  It was pretty
simple to write some code to check for these various fields and do the
right thing.

I realize that this approach might look crazy, but I'm a Unix guy
from way back in the 80s, and old habits die hard :-) .