[Koha] Hello from Vermont

Mark Alexander marka at pobox.com
Mon Aug 29 12:54:47 NZST 2016

Excerpts from Joy Nelson's message of 2016-08-28 18:23:32 -0500:
> I worked on some mandarin data in the past. Let me know if you have any questions

Thanks, all, for the kind welcome and advice!

Right now I'm working on a couple of things:

1. To set the item call number on import, I think I can use the Koha
cataloging preference "itemcallnumber".  It looks like setting
it to "852khi" would work for our Mandarin records.

2. To set the item type, I think I can use the MARC field 245$h, which
in our Mandarin installation contains things like "[sound recording]",
"[videorecording]", etc.  It looks like the MARC Modification
Templates, with their regular expressions, have enough power this
without my having to write a converter.  (I've already written a
MARC-8 to UTF-8 converter in Ruby, so writing another converter
wouldn't be too hard, but it'd be nice for our librarian to be able to
do imports on her Windows box.)

I should stop fretting and just go ahead and try this out :-) .