[Koha] New to Koha, but very interested

Hernandez, Heather heather_hernandez at nps.gov
Sat Apr 16 04:50:42 NZST 2016

Hi, Joseph--

We set up (very easily!) our Koha catalog so that anytime someone is
looking at a particular record, there is a "more searches" link on the
right--you can see it here:
http://keys.bywatersolutions.com/cgi-bin/koha/opac-detail.pl?biblionumber=30395

We put in the search targets that our users might find most helpful, i.e.,
WorldCat.org, Open Library, San Francisco Public Library, etc.

One can also configure the "no results" screen pretty easily--we decided
not to put search targets on ours, but to put a "Contact a reference
librarian" link--you can see how ours looks here:
http://keys.bywatersolutions.com/cgi-bin/koha/opac-search.pl?q=ti%2Cphr%3Ahobbit
Our primary users are our staff, so we want to push them to contact us to
help with their research if they're not finding what they need--I imagine
that libraries which have user-initiated ILL/consortial borrowing have this
screen configured differently.

In the staff client, a "no results" search gives you a Z39.50 button, and
if you click that, you get a window that opens to execute your search--you
configure which search targets you'd like here, and you can select one or
more, select all, etc.

One thing I like very much about Koha is that it's easily customized to
suit one's users.

Cheerio!
heather
Heather Hernandez
Technical Services Librarian
San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park Research Center
2 Marina Blvd., Bldg. E, 3rd floor, San Francisco, CA  94123
415-561-7032, heather_hernandez at nps.gov
http://www.nps.gov/safr/learn/historyculture/museum-collections.htm

"The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail."--Gustaf Lindborg