[Koha] Hardware requirements

Mark Tompsett mtompset at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 7 18:12:55 NZST 2014

Greetings,

You asked what options are best for your scenario.
[SNIP]
> The offerings that I currently have, have following specifications:
> * Single Core, 512 MB RAM, 20 GB hard disk
> * Single Core, 1024 MB RAM, 40 GB hard disk
>
> We have less than 5000 books and less than 250 customers.
>
> I’m sorry that I’m asking a question that has been asked a hundred times…

I don't know what you are considering as your VM hosting provider for those
particular sizes. We use Digital Ocean.
https://www.digitalocean.com/pricing/
Their $10/month plan should suffice you. However, if you plan on expanding
your inventory or having excessively high circulation rates, go with a
higher plan.

I always recommend at least 1GB (=1024MB) RAM. This can impact the speed of
your reindexes. 20GB disk space is functional for a small test system, but
more is always better.

Please also consider the underlying VM technology involved. The other day
someone had issues with their VM, and it turned out they had OpenVM and the
node they had in question was a problematic one (probably because all the
new people keep getting auto assigned there and overloading it). OpenVM
providers tend to also be cheaper. A price difference that could mean the
difference between an upgrade headache and upgrade ease.

GPML,
Mark Tompsett