[Koha] Looking for more Serials Documentation help

Elaine Bradtke eb at efdss.org
Sat Jun 7 04:37:27 NZST 2014

We are just getting around to putting our serials in Koha and yes, I am
baffled.  I was hoping to use the system to help us better track the
serials as they come in so we could claim missing issues in a timely
fashion. But the couple attempts I made to set up a fairly simple
subscription pattern didn't work as expected.  So I'm adding my voice to
the appeal - if anyone really understands this, expanding the manual to
include more examples and more thorough explanations would really, really
help.

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 4:44 PM, Hernandez, Heather <
heather_hernandez at nps.gov> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have to admit that we find the serials module to be rather baffling.
> Although we are using it to check in new issues so that our patrons can get
> an email notification when new issues arrive, I couldn't really tell you
> why it's doing what it's doing, and I have to say that I'm far from
> understanding it.  And I'm no serials system newbie--I've been using such
> systems since the days of Innovacq way before ILS's were twinkles in the
> eyes of developers--but getting our subscriptions to behave in a 'good
> enough' manner on Koha seems to have been rather hit and miss, and I
> haven't taken the time to fine tune them.
>
> I also haven't taken the time to figure out claiming, since I wasn't sure
> it would be a better solution than just walking around our Reading Room
> every now and then to eyeball what hasn't come in and just shooting an
> email off to the publisher to get our missing issue(s).  Granted, we don't
> have a lot of current subscriptions!  We also gave up on using Koha for
> acquisitions except for storing subscription vendors, since it doesn't meet
> our needs--federal purchasing is a bit byzantine, and we have no money to
> contribute towards developments.
>
> I'll keep my eyes open when receiving issues for subscriptions that could
> benefit from some work, and will try to compare things with the manual--if
> I can contribute anything, I'd be happy to do it--but I may just be
> contributing more questions!
>
> Cheerio,
> heather
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Heather Hernandez
> Technical Services Librarian
> San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park Research Center
> heather_hernandez at nps.gov
> 415-561-7032 (voice)       415-556-3540 (fax)
> http://www.nps.gov/safr/historyculture/museum-collections.htm
>
> "The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail."--Gustaf Lindborg

Elaine Bradtke
Data Wrangler
VWML
Tel    +44 (0) 20 7485 2206 (This number is for the English Folk Dance and
Song Society in London, England. If you wish to phone me personally, send
an e-mail first. I work off site)