[Koha] Cataloguing boxes?

Elaine Bradtke eb at efdss.org
Tue Jul 29 04:34:51 NZST 2014

It seems to me something along the lines of what we do for our bound
volumes of pamphlets would work.
We created a descriptive  title for the collection. A very detailed 505
(formatted contents) and a brief 520 (summary) to explain what it is.
 Because we also catalogue each pamphlet, there's a 774 for each one, but
that isn't strictly needed if you do a thorough 505. Especially, as in the
case of course materials, if this is a temporary item.

The main difference between our bound pamphlets and a box of articles is
it's much easier for some of the contents of the box to go missing, or the
order to get scrambled.

For circulation purposes, a prominent label on the box stating the number
of articles within, and making sure the circulation staff  verifies this
would probably be a good idea. I'd also suggest careful labeling of the
articles with information linking them to the relevant box so they may be
reunited when the inevitable happens and they end up in the wrong place.

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 5:37 PM, MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:

> Is anyone using Koha to catalogue boxes of articles and circulate them?
>  In the case I've seen, circulating the individual articles is not
> needed, but there would be a table of contents in the catalogue entry.
> Periodically, some boxes would be disposed of.
>
> I had a bit of a dig through the discussion archives, but most concerns
> with article management seemed to about cataloguing the articles and
> linking them together various ways.
>
> On IRC, the wonderful gmcharlt and jcamins explained that package-based
> installations speak marcxml internally now (so the 99999-character MARC
> record size limit mainly affects binary exports) and analytic
> cataloguing is another option if that much detail is needed.  Dyrcona
> asked whether 505 tag (where the table of contents would be in MARC21)
> was searchable, which it is.
>
> So, is anyone doing this sort of circulation for real and are there any
> other problems?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> MJ Ray (slef), member of www.software.coop, a for-more-than-profit co-op
> http://koha-community.org supporter, web and library systems developer.
> In My Opinion Only: see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html
> Available for hire (including development) at http://www.software.coop/

Elaine Bradtke
Data Wrangler
VWML
Tel    +44 (0) 20 7485 2206 (This number is for the English Folk Dance and
Song Society in London, England. If you wish to phone me personally, send
an e-mail first. I work off site)