[Koha] Cataloguing boxes?

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Sat Jul 26 04:37:29 NZST 2014

Is anyone using Koha to catalogue boxes of articles and circulate them?
 In the case I've seen, circulating the individual articles is not
needed, but there would be a table of contents in the catalogue entry.
Periodically, some boxes would be disposed of.

I had a bit of a dig through the discussion archives, but most concerns
with article management seemed to about cataloguing the articles and
linking them together various ways.

On IRC, the wonderful gmcharlt and jcamins explained that package-based
installations speak marcxml internally now (so the 99999-character MARC
record size limit mainly affects binary exports) and analytic
cataloguing is another option if that much detail is needed.  Dyrcona
asked whether 505 tag (where the table of contents would be in MARC21)
was searchable, which it is.

So, is anyone doing this sort of circulation for real and are there any
other problems?

Thanks,
--
MJ Ray (slef), member of www.software.coop, a for-more-than-profit co-op