[Koha] Koha slowness and server hardware

Daniel Sanford dsanford at amphilsoc.org
Thu Jul 17 06:44:17 NZST 2014

That number does seem usual. We've got a Koha instance that's larger in
terms of items (small in terms of patrons) which gets a much lower usage.
It's possible that a lot of searches or use could drive it up but that
tends to be spikes rather than a long flat usage.

VMware is a possible cause. The first thing I'd do is check your ESXi
settings to see how much RAM and CPU you've allotted to your virtual
machine. If your allotment for the VM is unusually low your virtual machine
might be starved for resources. Also if you've assigned over 4 GB of RAM to
this VM you're wasting it since a 32 bit OS will be capped at 4 GB of
usable RAM.

If you're still seeing high usage, inside MySQL try running a SHOW
PROCESSLIST; to see what's going on when you see that 100% CPU use. There
could be a background job that is stalling for some reason when other
activity happens.

Daniel Sanford