[Koha] patron categories

Eric Lease Morgan eric_morgan at infomotions.com
Sat Jul 5 03:10:38 NZST 2014

I am unable to create patron categories.

I am having a lot of problems getting Koka (version 3.14.08) up and running. I am running things on Linux (Fedora 7). I have complied, tested, and installed the latest and greatest versions of YAZ and Zebra. I am running MySQL 14. I have run zebrasrv but I do not see any ports (9999 or 9998) open when I run netstat -tulpn. I don’t have a2enmod nor a2ensite on my computer, but after symbolically linking the koha-httpd.conf to my Apache conf.d directory, and after editing the IP address from localhost to my machine’s “real” IP address, I am able to connect to both the public interface as well as the intranet with my Web browser.

Once I connected to the intranet I was prompted for a few installation instructions. I accepted the vast majority of the defaults. It tried to load the sample data, and it returned an error, of sorts — "Using a password on the command line interface can be insecure.” This error comes from the mysql client. Despite this, there is data in my database because I can use mysqldump to… dump the contents of my koha database to a file.

After reconnecting to the intranet I was told to create a patron, but patrons can not be created without both libraries and patron profiles. Creating a library was easy. Fill in form, and the library is created. Apparently reading and writing to the database works in this case.

Creating a patron profile is problematic. I fill to the form trying to create a staff patron. I summit the form. The screen goes blank for a second or two, and returns saying "No categories have been defined. Create a new category.” I’m stuck in an endless loop.

What am I missing?

—
Eric Lease Morgan