[Koha] Data Migration, TLC to Koha

Chris Cormack chrisc at catalyst.net.nz
Fri Aug 1 17:21:57 NZST 2014

On 1 August 2014 4:16:02 pm NZST, Vinod Kumar Mishra <vinod_librarian at rediffmail.com> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Yes you can convert your own data into marc format there are various
>methods to do that, If you  can generate reports in Marc/iso/excel
>formats etc. from existing software than it can be converted.

This is true, but there is far more data than just the bibliographic data. That is always the easiest bit. There is circulation, patrons, fines, acquisitions etc etc.

It is a non trivial task, however it is certainly possible to do it yourself given enough time.

>Please
>see the link below, if you don't mind may i know how much they quote
>and your data size/record?

 I imagine the quotes will have been provided as commercial in confidence. And as such sharing them without permission is not a  good look.

Collection size is actually pretty immaterial to how long a migration will take. Getting the data out in a good format is the hardest but and whether it's 1000 or 100000 it takes about the same time.

Chris