[Koha] Open source replacement for 3M self check station

glaws glawson at rhcl.org
Thu Sep 26 02:45:40 NZST 2013

I'm not aware there currently exists an open source self-checkout
system, however we've long talked about it here at our library. I work
with a developer, Aaron Ogle, that is currently building a PAC system,
and when he is finished with that if we have the funds available I would
like to consider funding a self-checkout development. Having already
discussed it, we think it wouldn't be terribly difficult. Aaron already
has a generalized framework for similar systems (a children's
playstation and a Koha kiosk) that could be easily adapted to a checkout.

I should note probably that all the development we support is for open
operating systems, and all the funding we've done so far generally uses
Linux Mint at the client end. The server side, where utilized, is more
generalized, but we typically use Ubuntu and OpenSuse.

Unfortunately it seems that you need a system now, and anything we do
won't be worked on until at least mid- late-2014. This is, however, a
good discussion topic and worth continuing.

Greg

--
Greg Lawson
Network Administrator