[Koha] Ability to swap MARC tags during data import

Iming Chan imingchan at yahoo.com.au
Thu May 30 23:15:02 NZST 2013

Dear all,

As we are planning to migrate our data to Koha shortly, it will be nice that
swap MARC tags can be done as part of the data import.

In our previous system, we can setup MARC tag swaps in a nominated order,
for example:

1 - 001$a swap to 035$a
2 - 984$b swap to 001$a

When we received MARC records from the national bibliographic database,
their Control Number is output in MARC 001$a.  This conflicts with our local
system number that stores in 001$a. So we move the national database Control
Number to MARC 035$a.

When we added our holding details to the national database, we also included
our local system number and this is output via MARC 984$b.  So in order to
match and merge bibliographic records during data import, we moved our local
system number output in MARC 984$b to MARC 001$a (where such is number is
normally stored in our local system).

If there is no matching numbers, then a new bibliographic record is added.
When there is a match, we can also nominate which MARC tag(s) and/or
subfield tag(s) to replace by the incoming record (as there are some * local
* MARC tag(s) and subfield tag(s) that we want to keep during the import).

This functionality will eliminate the need to use MarcEdit or other similar
software for every data import!

Iming

-----

Iming Chan