[Koha] Item types vs CCODE (Collection codes)

Elaine Bradtke eb at efdss.org
Wed May 29 06:10:41 NZST 2013

We use collection codes to group together actual collections (a body of
material donated by a specific organization or individual). Useful for
statistics, and it helps when we need to bulk edit items because a
particular collection has been shifted to another location. Within these
collections we have different item types with their associated circulation
rules, etc.
So one might have a 'collection' of material that includes item types such
as books, sound recordings, maps, etc.
Elaine

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 12:40 AM, Chris Meech <cmeech at waitaki.govt.nz>wrote:

> You have probably seen this post
>
> http://library-matters.blogspot.co.nz/2009/03/thinking-about-item-types-in-koha.html
> which outlines some differences between itypes and ccodes well.
>
> Itypes are the real work horses in Koha and give a granular level of
> control to your collections.
>
> In 3.10 the option of adding both ccode and itype to the OPAC advances
> search is available through the AdvancedSearchTypes
> Syspref (which is great)
>
> Cheers
> Chris
>
> Christopher Meech
> Reference and Heritage Librarian
> Waitaki District Libraries
> P.O. Box 134,Oamaru 9444
> 62 Thames St, Oamaru 9400

> cmeech at waitaki.govt.nz
> www.library.waitaki.govt.nz

Elaine Bradtke
Data Wrangler
VWML
Tel    +44 (0) 20 7485 2206 (This number is for the English Folk Dance and
Song Society in London, England. If you wish to phone me personally, send
an e-mail first. I work off site)