[Koha] Koha 3.10 hosting in a shared webhosting environment

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Sun Mar 24 20:35:41 NZDT 2013

On 24 March 2013 20:11, Raj Pawan <gumdal at india.com> wrote:
> Thank you very much for a quick & elegant reply.
>
> We don't have enough money to buy VPS hosting. I assume that the same
> problem exists with Evergreen LMS also?
>
> So, what is the best solution or alternative you could suggest me?
>
> I am extremely saddened that such a beautiful opensource could not be used
> at the cheapest price though perl is supported along with PHP at the lowest
> webhosting price. I wish that the developers would have considered these
> scenarios while building it too.

Another major problem is you only have perl 5.8.8, which is very very
very very old. Since Koha 3.4.0 and upwards it needs perl 5.10 or
later which is from 2007.

I don't think it is fair to think you can write a modern piece of
software that is used to run all sorts of libraries from tiny ones
like the one you are seeking to host as cheap as possible, up to the
National library of Venezuala, and still work on perl 5.8.8 which was
released in 2006.

It is a shame Koha wont work on your shared hosting, but it is a
massive piece of software, and can't possibly be everything for
everyone. You are of course more than welcome to send patches to make
it work on cheap shared hosting.

Chris