[Koha] 505 tag: formatted contents notes

Hernandez, Heather heather_hernandez at nps.gov
Wed Mar 6 12:01:08 NZDT 2013

Hi, Paula--

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 8:32 AM, Paula Corman <Paula.Corman at mim.org> wrote:
I am cataloging a collection of several hundred CDs, each of which contains
at least 12 or more songs with potentially as many different performers.  A
few days ago I was cataloging a 2-volume title ...  Do I simply duplicate
the 505  tag  over and over again?  This is what I did but I'm wondering if
there is a better way.

I reply:
In our situation, if the discs are shelved as one unit, so will be paged
and circulated as one unit, and the note isn't too long, we leave it as one
505, e.g.:
505 0_ Disc 1. Song title /  Artist -- Song title / Artist -- Song title /
Artist.  Disc 2. Song title / Artist ...

But as you can see, these could get really long and hard to scan if there
are a lot of titles or Artist/Credits to include.  There is a nice example
in the Library of Congress' MOIM Music and Sound Recordings Online Manual,
of breaking up the info into multiple 505 tags, just like you did.  Their
examples uses "v. 2" but you could substitute "disc 1," "disc 2," etc., and
they use a space-semicolon-space for song titles under particular headings
on multiple discs, but I think the examples could be edited nicely for,
e.g.:
505 1_ Disc 1. .... ; ..... ; ..... ; ...... ; --
505 1_ disc 2. .... ; ..... ; ..... ; ...... ; --

The MOIM examples:

505<http://desktop.loc.gov/template.htm?view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=mabibl505&hash=505>1#
$a -- v. 2. The golden era (5 discs). Wang wang blues ; San (Paul
Whiteman’s Orchestra) ; ‘Deed I do ; Stars fell on Alabama (Jack
Teagarden’s Chicagoans) ; Mood indigo ; The mooche (Sonny Greer and the
Duke’s Men) ; Royal garden blues ; I’m in the mood for love (Red Nichols
and his Pennies) ; Come on over to my house ; Trouble in mind (Jay
McShann’s Kansas City Stompers, featuring Julia Lee) --
 505<http://desktop.loc.gov/template.htm?view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=mabibl505&hash=505>1#
$a v. 4. This modern age (5 discs). Hollywood stampede ; I’m through
with love (Coleman Hawkins’ Band) ; Oh, lady be good (Billy Butterfield’s
Orchestra) ; In the dark (Bobby Sherwood’s Orchestra) ; Jumpin’ at Capitol
(The King Cole Trio) ; Love for sale (Benny Carter’s Orchestra) ; Moten
swing ; On the sunny side of the street (Jay McShann’s Kansas City
Stompers) ; Balboa bash (Stan Kenton’s Orchestra) ; Our Monday date (Eddie
Miller’s Orchestra)

I hope this is helpful!  Cheerio,
Heather
Heather Hernandez
Technical Services Librarian
Cultural Resources and Museum Management Division
San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park
heather_hernandez at nps.gov
415-561-7032 (voice)       415-556-3540 (fax)
http://www.nps.gov/safr/historyculture/library-collections.htm

"The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail."--Gustaf Lindborg