[Koha] Problems with Zebra indexing

Robin Sheat robin at catalyst.net.nz
Thu Jul 25 00:25:11 NZST 2013

Op 23/07/13 06:22, Coehoorn, Joel schreef:
> In spite of this, search has been fully working until this week, with the
> caveat that I would have to manually run the rebuild_zebra.pl script. This
> had always involved using sudo to rebuild the indexes (one part of why I
> think I must have done something as root).

With the packages, you don't need to touch any of this. It does it all
for you and it manages the permissions appropriately. By using the
"internal" commands directly, it is the case that, as you discovered,
you broke things and the package driven functions fail now.

> When I watch the re-index process, I see a few additional folders that
> cause permissions issues under /var/lock. I can update permissions on these
> as well, but they are removed and re-created with the bad permissions every
> time the server reboots. Rare enough, but still a problem.

What are you considering good permissions and bad permissions? Can you
provide some actual examples? Also examples of the errors and what the
current states are of the files it's complaining about, along with the
exact commands you are running, including the command prompt.

What you should be seeing is things like this (where the library name
here is 'catalyst'):

$ ls -ld /var/lock/koha/catalyst
drwxr-xr-x 4 catalyst-koha catalyst-koha 4096 Sep 13  2012
/var/lock/koha/catalyst
$ ls -lR /var/lock/koha/catalyst
/var/lock/koha/catalyst:
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 2 catalyst-koha catalyst-koha 4096 Feb 27 19:55 authorities
drwxr-xr-x 2 catalyst-koha catalyst-koha 4096 Feb 27 19:55 biblios

/var/lock/koha/catalyst/authorities:
total 4
-rw-r--r-- 1 catalyst-koha catalyst-koha 5 Jul 18 10:22 zebrasrv.pid

/var/lock/koha/catalyst/biblios:
total 4
-rw-r--r-- 1 catalyst-koha catalyst-koha 5 Jul 18 10:22 zebrasrv.pid

and similar for the stuff in /var/lib/koha. It must all be read/write
libraryname-koha. You should never use rebuild-zebra. Instead you should
use /usr/sbin/koha-rebuild-zebra.

> *How can I fix this so that the lock folders get the correct permissions
> when they are recreated after reboot? Is this something I'll need to script?
> *

They are recreated after reboot with the correct permissions. This
happens by running /usr/sbin/koha-create-dirs $( koha-list ) during boot.

> *How can I get koha to use handle these large items? *I know it's possible,
> because until this week I was able to search on those records.

Stop doing stuff with rebuild-zebra.pl directly, and it'll just work.
More specifically, the packages do XML indexing by default, and this is
how these are handled.

> With just the two bad records, I can then watch zebra index those first
> 92000 or so records. After the exporting biblios phase, during the reindex
> phase, with extra verbosity set I do see this error:

There's no error there. But try it with koha-rebuild-zebra, it might
work better.

> I tried re-indexing with the -x switch, in an attempt to use the xml format
> to get around the marc 99999 byte limit. This completes with no errors.
> However, I still don't see any search results. I know the zebra server is
> running.

Did you check the error logs (in /var/log/koha/libraryname) for zebra?

--
Robin Sheat
Catalyst IT Ltd.