[Koha] Koha Digest, Vol 93, Issue 18

Bob Birchall bob at calyx.net.au
Thu Jul 11 19:38:03 NZST 2013

On 11/07/13 16:12, Mirko wrote:
> sreenivas kura schrieb am 11.07.2013
>
>> Sir,
>>
>>   We are using Koha 2.28 software since 5 years in windows operating
>> system. Ours is Engineering College. We would like to upgrade to
>> latest version of KOHA . Please suggest me how to upgrade with same
>> database. Please provide me detailed procedure.
>>
>> thanking you,
>>
>> K.SRINIVAS
> One thing that might complicate an upgrade for you is that Koha is
> not available for Windows anymore. The first thing you have to do to
> use a recent version of Koha is to set up a GNU/Linux system.
>
> The best thing to do is to install Debian GNU/Linux on a server. If
> a server dedicated to GNU/Linux is not an option for you, you can
> alternatively use a virtual machine running a Debian guest on a
> Windows host computer.
>
> In any way you will need to do an installation of GNU/Linux or find
> somebody to do it for you. Once you got a running system, the Koha
> Wiki provides instructions on how to install Koha. It applies to
> Debian versions Squeeze and Wheezy, the installation process is the
> same on Ubuntu if you prefer that (I think it works on Ubuntu
> 12.04). http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Koha_3.x_on_Debian_Squeeze
>
> -- Mirko
The only thing I would add to this is that there are different views on
whether to upgrade from 2.x or whether to treat your 3.x installation
like any other LMS conversion.  Personally, I think it is easier to
export your data from 2.x and prepare it for import to a fresh
installation of 3.x.

If you do decide to upgrade, it's best (or necessary) to upgrade first
to Koha 3.2, then again to a recent stable release.

Best wishes,
Bob Birchall
Calyx