[Koha] Hello

Tim Skeers tim.skeers at lib.state.ia.us
Sat Feb 23 11:01:05 NZDT 2013

Recently I subscribed to the list, and the welcome message suggested a short post introducing myself so I thought I would do that. I hope I am using the right address!

I am a cataloger at Iowa Library Services, the agency formerly (and sort of still) known as the State Library of Iowa. We are a division under the State Department of Education. The new name reflects a reorganization that brought a formerly separate, statewide commission of regional library service areas and us together into the same agency. We run a depository program for State of Iowa government publications and my main job is to catalog them. It is mostly original cataloging but some copy cataloging as well. I also handle anything else that turns up needing original cataloging and I do some work with retrospective projects in the State Law Library collections.

The reason for joining the list is that we are in the process of transitioning our catalog from Sirsi/Dynix Horizon to Koha. We have been learning quite a bit but there is a lot yet to learn and a lot of work ahead of us for a successful conversion. I have some questions right now that I am thinking of posting to the list but plan to peruse the archives a little more first to see if I can find some of what I need there.

Koha seems very cool so far and we are looking forward to being in the community, even with all the work it will take to get there!

Best,

Tim

Timothy Skeers | Cataloger | State Library of Iowa | 1112 E. Grand Avenue | Des Moines, Iowa | 50319 | tim.skeers at lib.state.ia.us | (515) 725-0605