[Koha] Full text document attachment

Doug Dearden dearden at sarsf.org
Thu Dec 12 05:53:38 NZDT 2013

Hi Akhlaq,

We got around this by using the Redirect directive in our apache config.  I created a subdirectory for a local user, then created a symbolic link to it from /var/www.  In this way the cataloger can copy the file to the server as the local user and catalog using a string that apache redirects to the proper place.  If you later have to move the subdirectory, you just change the redirect in the config.

For example, our users login as "luser", and place the test files in a subdirectory called "lfiles".  There is a symbolic link in /var/www called textfiles -> /home/luser/lfiles .
In the apache config file for the Koha instance in both VirtualHost sections (OPAC and Intranet) is the redirect directive like this:  Redirect /libraryfiles http://<ip address or DNS name of server>/textfiles .
When we catalog, in the 856u field we put in /libraryfiles/<subdirectory>/<filename> .

The link is active, and if you need to change to a different address or DNS name in the future all you have to do is change the Redirect directive in the apache config.  It would also be possible to move all the files to another separate web server and just point to that server in the Redirect directive.

Note that /var/www is the DocumentRoot for the default site in Apache.  We have that running to serve up these documents.  /var/www is not the default DocumentRoot for Koha instances.

Hope that helps.

Doug