[Koha] Don't pass out bad instructions (was Re: How frequently to run zebra rebuild and what switches)

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 20:15:18 NZST 2013

Hi Magnus

This depends, do you intend to have an "original tarball" installation wiki
page?
If so, will there be one for each stable version of Koha and a version for
each upgrade?

Cheers

hg

On 22 August 2013 09:42, Magnus Enger <magnus at enger.priv.no> wrote:

> On 22 August 2013 09:04, Hilton Gibson <hilton.gibson at gmail.com> wrote:
> > What if you want to deviate from what the "packages" installation does?
> > In the open source world, it has been my experience that a "tarball"
> > installation is always preferred, since it allows you install anywhere,
> not
> > just Debian.
>
> "There is more than one way to do it", sure. And documentation is
> always welcome. But why not put it on the official Koha wiki, where it
> will receive (at least some degree of) peer review, improvements from
> the whole community and a lasting home?
>
> Having instructions created by individuals littered all over the web
> quickly leads to stale information, people following wrong or outdated
> instructions and in the end getting a bad impression of Koha. So maybe
> you could copy your wiki page over to the official wiki, link to it
> from your wiki, and we can all collaborate to ensure it has maximum
> usefullness?
>
> Best regards,
> Magnus Enger
> libriotech.no
>
> PS: The correct name is "Koha", not "KOHA". ;-)

*Hilton Gibson*
Ubuntu Linux Systems Administrator
JS Gericke Library
Room 1025D
Stellenbosch University
Private Bag X5036
Stellenbosch
7599
South Africa

Tel: +27 21 808 4100 | Cell: +27 84 646 4758
http://library.sun.ac.za
http://za.linkedin.com/in/hiltongibson
http://staff.lib.sun.ac.za/~hgibson/docs/cv/cv.html