[Koha] Zebra Indexing

Bernardo Gonzalez Kriegel bgkriegel at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 04:01:23 NZST 2013

Hi Philip,

> Koha installed version:
> 3.00.00.107

That's a very old version!
Perhaps you can consider an upgrade in the future.
There are many new features and bug fixes
Current version is Koha 3.12.3

Some thoughts about your problem

1) Method of installation
There is something strange in the folders that you report in your mail
/usr/local/koha/etc
/usr/local/koha/var

that tell me that you made a 'single' install on /usr/local/koha
Is that the case?
There is no problem with that, only the folder location is not standard.

2) File ownership.
You tell that www-data is the natural owner of the files?
That's the user you choose at install time?
You can check that in
/usr/local/koha/misc/koha-install.log, search for KOHA_USER and KOHA_GROUP
the values in those variables are the real owner/group for your files.

3) Zebra daemon
Is zebra-daemon running?
You can check that with "ps aux | grep zebra"
If not, try to start it and look at
/usr/local/var/log/koha/koha-zebradaemon-err.log
Here the ownership IS VERY important, check under what user zebra is
expecting to run,
second and third line in /usr/local/koha/bin/koha-zebra-ctl.sh

4) Indexing
NEVER NEVER reindex as root.
You must reindex using the user that zebra daemon expects, and not other.
If you made a reindex as root, first change ownership of files to the user
that zebra
needs and then reindex as such user.

Regards,
Bernardo