[Koha] Do you like the way Koha is sorting facets and facets results ?

Elaine Bradtke eb at efdss.org
Tue Nov 20 07:55:41 NZDT 2012

What constitutes 'popularity'? I have a feeling this is a useless sort
order for a research collection like ours that doesn't loan out anything.
Good old fixed data like name, title, date are what suits our readers best.
Elaine

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 1:00 PM, Mathieu Saby
<mathieu.saby at univ-rennes2.fr>wrote:

> Hello
> Could some librairians and vendors tell me if they like the way Koha is
> sorting facets and facets results, on a UX point of view ?
>
> Currently,
> - Results for each facets are sorted alphabeticly.
> - I can't explain the way factets (Authors, Title, Topics...) are sorted,
> maybe by popularity, but it is not always the same, depending of the
> request !
>
> If we look at other catalogues, or non library websites (Amazon...), we
> don't see the same behavior.
> - Facets sorting does not change in the same catalogue
> - Facets results are sorted according to popularity (decrescent
> occurences), or sometime in a predefined order, sometime both, but never
> alphabeticly.
> (in amazon.com , Author and Book series are sorted according to
> popularity order, but Departement and Format facets in a predefined order.
> cf. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=**nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%**
> 3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=**game<http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=game>
> in worldcat, Content and Public in a predefined order, and the others by
> popularity : http://www.worldcat.org/**search?qt=worldcat_org_all&q=**
> proust <http://www.worldcat.org/search?qt=worldcat_org_all&q=proust> )
>
> If you agree, I can make a patch for sorting facets results by popularity
> (easy to do) and sorting facets according to a defined order (more
> complicated for me but I will try...).
>
> Regards,
> M. Saby
> Rennes 2 University
>

> --
> Mathieu Saby
> Service d'Informatique Documentaire
> Service Commun de Documentation
> Université Rennes 2
> Téléphone : 02 99 14 12 65
> Courriel : mathieu.saby at univ-rennes2.fr

Elaine Bradtke
Data Wrangler
VWML
Tel    +44 (0) 20 7485 2206 (This number is for the English Folk Dance and
Song Society in London, England. If you wish to phone me personally, send
an e-mail first. I work off site)