[Koha] Koha Digest, Vol 80, Issue 38

Stacy Pober stacy.pober at manhattan.edu
Tue Jun 26 05:36:28 NZST 2012

How is it that no one has added this kind of searching to the community
version of Koha?  It's a major omission.

People are so used to using quote marks and those operators in search
strings that they often try to use them in Koha even though they don't work
as expected. One of the features in an "easy to use" OPAC is that the
searching conforms to expected norms that the public knows from other
common search interfaces.

This feature was commissioned from the vendor our library uses, PTFS, but
it doesn't work properly. (It kind of works, but if you turn this feature
on, the boolean searching in Advanced Search stops working correctly. As a
result, many of the libraries that have it as an option don't use it.)

I'm astonished that no one in the world has added properly working code
that would make the most widely understood phrase searching method
(quotation marks) available in community Koha.

 As for the + and - operators, if anyone tries adding that, they have to
code it as a two-character string (space+ or space-) to prevent confusion
when users are looking for hyphenated words.

Is anyone in the Koha-verse working on adding a search mode that
uses quotation marks and + - operators?  I mean, aside from the buggy
version we have in Liblime's LAK.

--
Stacy Pober
Information Alchemist