[Koha] Solr

Jared Camins-Esakov jcamins at cpbibliography.com
Wed Jul 25 09:43:38 NZST 2012

Stacy,

I'll address the points that are not answered in the proposal that Brooke
linked to.

Does anyone know if switching from Zebra to Solr will let Koha
> libraries use a stopwords list?

Solr allows the use of stopwords (as would a decent query parser such as
the one I propose writing). However, the Solr code in Koha right now does
not make use of the stopwords feature. To my mind, that is a good thing. If
we used stopwords, the poetry journal The would be unfindable (and yes,
there is such a journal: I had a nightmare and a half trying to find the
record when I had an issue to catalog at the NYPL; thankfully their catalog
doesn't throw away stopwords anymore). And things would be even worse when
searching for French books. Consider the case of the À thé and Le thé. In
the US we would probably search for "a the" and "le the." If someone can

> Also, will Solr have any effect on fuzzy searching defaults?

It will. Fuzzy searching has completely different semantics in Solr
compared to Zebra. We briefly noted that fact in the proposal, along with a
footnote identifying the algorithms that Solr uses for fuzzy searching
(and, yes, I am aware that the second algorithm listed is generally used as
an alternate name for the first... I have no explanation of why the Solr
docs used the two names like they were different). Whether the "fuzzy"
behavior is closer to what you want I could not say. My personal
preference, like yours, is to not be fuzzy, and just suggest better
searches.

Lastly, is there anyone sponsoring or working on a "did you mean..."
> opac response to zero retrieval searches?   At our library, we'd
> probably choose a "did you mean..." spelling suggestion choice over
> the automatic fuzzy spelling assumptions that are currently in the
> system.   I realize this would probably be listed in bugzilla, but I'm
> not sure exactly how to search for this.

We have not yet added bugs for the various parts of the search rewrite.

Regards,
Jared

--
Jared Camins-Esakov
Bibliographer, C & P Bibliography Services, LLC
(e-mail) jcamins at cpbibliography.com
(web) http://www.cpbibliography.com/