[Koha] Marc 21 for Koha 3.4

Jared Camins-Esakov jcamins at cpbibliography.com
Sat Jan 14 09:43:16 NZDT 2012

Good afternoon.

2012/1/13 Chris Cormack <chrisc at catalyst.net.nz>

> * anaisabel.gonzalez at MCU.ES (anaisabel.gonzalez at MCU.ES) wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I have a question about the Marc 21 update used in the default framework
> of Koha version 3.4. Does anybody can tell me which is the Marc 21 Update
> used?
> >
> > The WorkGroup into the Koha-Kobli Community in Spanish (
> http://kobli.bage.es) is working in analyze the new functionalities for
> Koha and our customized distribution named Kobli. In order to study the
> Marc 21 – RDA we need to know the Marc 21 Update and if Koha Community has
> worked on it or has any report about it.
> > (For further information about KOBLI , please see Koha archive
> http://lists.katipo.co.nz/pipermail/koha/2011-April/028481.html)
> >
> Koha 3.6.2 (soon to be .3) is the current stable release. Perhaps
> looking at that (3.8.0 will be released April 22) will be more useful?
>
> But as far as I know the default MARC21 framework has not been
> updated, I have seen frameworks with the RDA fields in them. And since
> in Koha 3.6.x you can import and export frameworks, adding RDA support
> in MARC (even though the Library of Congress has decided that is not
> the right thing to do) is possible.

I think there is a slight terminological misunderstanding here. I believe
Nani is referring to the MARC Updates released by LC as steward of the MARC
standard. The frameworks included with Koha are based on MARC21 Update 7
(no, that is not a typo), released October 2006 (!). Updating the
frameworks to match the latest MARC21 update (number 13, for those who are
counting) would be a very good idea. So far no one has funded such a
project, unfortunately, and -- equally unfortunately -- it would be a
pretty big project.

However, confusion over what the word "update" referred to aside, Chris is
right that you should be using the latest stable version (3.6.2, soon to be
3.6.3).

Regards,
Jared Camins-Esakov

--
Jared Camins-Esakov
Bibliographer, C & P Bibliography Services, LLC
(e-mail) jcamins at cpbibliography.com
(web) http://www.cpbibliography.com/