[Koha] How do I upgrade my Koha 3.2? (was Re: Problem upgrade koha-3.8.0 to koha-3.08.04)

Mark Tompsett mtompset at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 31 13:57:33 NZST 2012

Greetings, Raphael,

Before you do anything: backup. It shouldn't be necessary, but one needs to be careful.

The upgrade process is generally documented in the INSTALL files near the bottom. However, since version 3.2, a major development has come into existence: packages. This will make future upgrades even smoother. Ubuntu is a Debian-based OS, and so the use of the packages should not be a problem. I have installed using this method on Ubuntu a couple times using a fresh install.

If you are going to stick with the tarball method of installation, read http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Koha_on_Ubuntu#Upgrade_Instructions
I haven't tried these upgrade instructions, but they are similar to the ones found in the install files.

If you are going to consider switching to packages on the same server, read http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Moving_an_installation_from_a_regular_install_to_the_Debian_packages
However, you will notice it has "Initially, this is a draft based on running through the process once, feel free to correct, elaborate and improve." I haven't tried these instructions.

If you are able to do a fresh install of packages, read http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Koha_3.8_on_Debian_Squeeze
I have tried these instructions. If you have problems, the friendly folks on the IRC channel and here on the mailing list will be able to help get you over any bumps you may encounter.

Lastly, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS works better than Ubuntu 10.10 for installing the newer supported versions of Koha. In general, a LTS version is the recommend OS version of preference. Also, Ubuntu 10.10 has reached its "end of life date" (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases).

And like I said previously, before you do anything: backup. :)

GPML,
Mark Tompsett