[Koha] Export/Import question from Alice 5.0

Richard Eibrand RichardEibrand at RCPI.IE
Tue Mar 22 07:25:36 NZDT 2011

Hi there,

We are looking to moving from Alice 5.0 to Koha. To that end, I have been playing around with getting our data exported from Alice and imported into Koha.

The guts of the problem are this:
-  After exporting a MARC variant file from Alice, and importing it into Alice, the MAIN ENTRY--PERSONAL NAME field is populated with what appears to be todays date, with frey 50 after it, e.g. Personal name    20110321 frey50 - instead of Personal name Koha_author as it was entered in Alice.
- I used MARCedit to have a look at my export files, and this is what I am getting:

=LDR  00354nam  22001451a 4500
=020  \\$c0.00
=040  \\$aRoyal College of Physicians of Ireland
=082  \\$bKOH
=100  \\$aKoha_Author
=245  \\$aKoha_Title$h[Text]
=250  \\$aKoha_Edition
=260  \\$bKoha_Publisher$cKoha_Year
=300  \\$aKoha_Physical Description
=500  \\$aKoha_Notes
=600  \\$aKoha_Subject

But this is what I am getting back once the import has completed and the index re-indexed, which is all correct except for the MAIN ENTRY LINE

000 -LEADER
   fixed length control field    00404nam a22001571a 4500
INTERNATIONAL STANDARD BOOK NUMBER
   Terms of availability    0.00
CATALOGING SOURCE
   Original cataloging agency    Royal College of Physicians of Ireland
DEWEY DECIMAL CLASSIFICATION NUMBER
   Item number    KOH
MAIN ENTRY--PERSONAL NAME
   Personal name    20110321 frey50
TITLE STATEMENT
   Title    Koha_Title
   Medium    [Text]
EDITION STATEMENT
   Edition statement    Koha_Edition
PUBLICATION, DISTRIBUTION, ETC. (IMPRINT)
   Name of publisher, distributor, etc    Koha_Publisher
   Date of publication, distribution, etc    Koha_Year
PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION
   Extent    Koha_Physical Description
GENERAL NOTE
   General note    Koha_Notes

I have tried with all the export formats available to me, namely, 02USMARC, 04USMARC with Copy information and 50 USMARC (Containing TLC Compulsory tags) from Alice.
I have also imported them as both UNIMARC or MARC21 - but to no avail.

Would anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Richard

Richard Eibrand
ICT Manager
Royal College of Physicians of Ireland
Frederick House
19 South Frederick Street<x-apple-data-detectors://4>
Dublin<x-apple-data-detectors://4> 2
Telephone:01- 8639700<tel:01-%208639700>
Fax:01-6724707<tel:01-6724707>