[Koha] Help - problem with Unicode entries located but a patch is needed

Irakli Garibashvili iraklig99 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 27 02:45:55 NZDT 2011

Hi!

I have been testing this problem and finally got some results, which might
be interesting/important to users from countries with non-Latin scripts:

We have Koha 3.0. with Marc21 and nozebra.
Entries made in Items fields in Georgian, Russian or even Latin characters
with diacritics (in UTF8) were corrupted at some moment :-( which was
leading to corrupted nozebra indexes and finally problems with searching.
As a result many searches on Georgian terms were unsuccessful  - which
obviously is irritating - OPAC which cannot search records!

I have tested this on KOHA demo sites... all the same!
We have no experience with Zebra or KOha 3.2 yet, but I am sure the same bug
would corrupt records similarly.

So what we have found is:

when we create biblios with Unicode, everything goes fine,
when we add, modify, delete,... items with Unicode, again everything is
fine,

but all fields in Items are corrupted when we make changes in biblio!
I.e. correcting spelling in Title or Author fields do not result in any
problems with "biblios" but all fields like "callnumber", Item Note (public
or private), etc which contain non-latin characters are corrupted!

Then we examined MySQL fields and found following:

All entries in biblios and items tables are fine, while in biblioitems table
all fields except MARCXML are fine and all corrupted characters are located
in MARCXML field, in parts corresponding to 952 MARC subfields!