[Koha] Call number issue

Kurt Bodling kbodling at mountvernon.org
Wed Jan 26 07:16:25 NZDT 2011

1.       The cataloging gods won't be offended.

BUT, if your call number is in the 050 you should check the indicators to make sure they reflect whether or not the item is in the Library of Congress and whether they assigned the classification number.  You'll find a good number of records with the number in the 050 _ 4  (second indicator "4" indicating that LC didn't assign number).

The issue for Koha users is that Koha sucks the 050 into the 952 $o but doesn't pull from the 090.

2.       You don't have to preserve the integrity of LC cataloging if you can make an improvement on it. At least, I don't. It isn't a sacred text, after all.

But you can manually insert the number into the Koha bib record if you want to.

3.       I don't know why the 090 wouldn't appear.  I pull records from OCLC rather than a Z93.50, and the 090 fields appear.

Kurt
Technical Services Librarian
George Washington's Mount Vernon Estate and Garden