[Koha] Hidden fields in the marc editor

Jason O'Neil jason.oneil at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 15:26:38 NZDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 8:06 AM, Chris Cormack <chris at bigballofwax.co.nz> wrote:

> 2011/4/1 Laude, Maria <mlaude at liblime.com>:
> > In layman's terms....
> >
> > 0 => OPAC Intranet Editor !Collapsed   equates to:
> >
> > 0 means it would be
> > visible in the opac
> > visibile in the "intranet"  ,   ie  "STAFF CLIENT"
> > visible in the "editor",  ie staff client cataloging marc editor
> > and
> > !collapsed means the entire tag displays,  ie, is not "collapsed"
>
> It is a bit confusing, but it's the 17 listed in the manual (and in
> the online help).
> IE not the 2 marked for future use.
>
> Chris

Hi list

Just this morning I was having trouble getting fields to view as "not
collapsed" in the editor using this setting.  I think it was a
misunderstanding of what "collapsed" meant.  And I believe the people
posting in this thread from 2009 were having the same problem:

http://lists.katipo.co.nz/pipermail/koha/2009-September/020437.html

I thought "collapsed" meant it was hidden by default, not that it was
a smaller textbox.  So I tried to make the subfields visible by
default by setting them to "not collapsed".  Of course this didn't
work, and I (and seemingly others) thought this was a bug.

The correct meaning of "collapsed" seems to mean that it is a smaller
text box, a single line, not multiple lines.

If you want to make the subfield visible by default, without making it
mandatory, the trick is to make the marc field mandatory, but the
subfield not mandatory.  This makes all the subfields of that field
visible by default, though the subfields themselves will not be
mandatory.

Hope this helps anyone else who was lost like me :)

Jason