[Koha] Message from PTFS/LibLime

Edward M Corrado terrapin44 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 19 06:58:42 NZST 2010

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 18, 2010, at 5:25, MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:

ed c wrote:
--- On Fri, 9/17/10, MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:
<...>
At the time I wrote my last email, I wasn't aware of PTFS's
reaction because it wasn't in the same thread.  Please try not to
break thread.  (ed c - you're one of those breaking up the
thread.)

I'm sorry if my mail client is not up to your high standards.

Please don't get sarcastic.  It's not a high standard.  The
metadata headers for threading have been around for 35 years,
so it's a pretty basic error if a mail client can't use them.

But the latest message appeared in-thread, so I don't really
understand why the thread was broken previously.  Oh well, I
was just explaining why I hadn't seen PTFS's reaction in time.

[...]
Indeed, charity law and non-profit law are not the same, so
why ask me
about US non-profit law when I criticised US charity
law?  Basically
the problem there is it doesn't often exist.

Because you did so while referring to a 501(c)3, which is organized under non-profit law.

I feel the central Koha project body should be a charity.  Is
that even possible in the US?

Yes. The laws vary by state though, I believe.

  "One of the weaknesses in U.S. payment systems is
how easy it is to
  create bogus checks and deposit them at a bank,"
said Michael Herd,
  a spokesman for NACHA/The Electronics Payments
Association, which
  sets rules for electronic bank transfers. --
  http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7914159/
[...]
And this is why there are no non-profit organizations based in the US, I guess?

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. :-) Having to watch your bank
account closely and be cautious about who sees your cheques and
transfer details is another overhead cost which I feel means the Koha
community should seriously consider being based outside the US, in
some country with a better banking system.

I have had trouble with cash in Europe so it isn't just the US. I won't get into but I couldn't even get gasoline and train tickets with cash or credit in 2 different European countries. I am not really advocating for the USA but I  don't think your particular concerns are reasons not to do it there.

Edward

Hope that explains,
Webmaster, Debian Developer, Past Koha RM, statistician, former lecturer.
Available for hire for Koha work http://www.software.coop/products/koha