[Koha] iphone/android scanner apps?

Reed Wade reedwade at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 20:16:30 NZDT 2010

2010/10/16 Chris Cormack <chrisc at catalyst.net.nz>:
> * david at lang.hm (david at lang.hm) wrote:
>> has anyone thought of having iphone/andoid apps to act as bar-code
>> scanners and handling infrastructure tasks (shelving, checkin, etc)

> I think Reed is planing to polish it a bit more then put it out there
> for people to use.

see-

http://reedwade.net/android/webscan/

it's on the android market already, search for webscan

This was very much a my third experiment with android apps so the code
does need a good cleaning and documenting before putting out there for
the world to see but am happy to send it to anyone who wants an early
peek.

Barcode decoding is via ZXing ( http://code.google.com/p/zxing/ )
which makes it very simple. What I've done is very browser based and
generic. I can imagine a more Koha targeted app which used webkit plus
additional JS hooks to provide something a bit tidier and could even
coast over connectivity gaps nicely.

--

Another path would be to use jqtouch ( http://jqtouch.com/ ), stay
browser focused but with pages tuned to android+iphone. We could keep

The shift to template toolkit which is coming up should make alternate
site types like this a bit simpler. (But I use template toolkit a lot
so...)

-reed