[Koha] Foundation conversation

ed c terrapin44 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 16 13:29:35 NZDT 2010

I agree with Chris that getting it right is more important then rushing it, but that said, it should not be pushed back for long. I do not think David Lang's concerns about Koha are unique to him. I assume even if some other entity then a Koha Foundation was to hold community property their still would be a need to some governance structure. I quickly came up with a board makeup I think would be fair. It was off the top of my head and, even if everyone liked the make up (which won't be the case, I'm sure) it needs a lot of work on how it would be organized. For example, this doesn't say how votes would be done, who gets to vote, what if any pre-conditions would be necessary for people to agree, etc. Still it is helpful, for me at least, to see how such a comprised board could be constructed.

My proposal is that PTFS and HLT each would get an equal number (3) of slots to appoint people as they see first for three years. The community would also get to vote for slots. These "appointed" slots would decrease by one each year until there was no appointed slots.

Year 1: 3 appointed by PTFS + 3 appointed by HLT + 3 voted this year (2 yr term) = 9 total board members

Year 2: 2 appointed by PTFS + 2 appointed by HLT + 3 (second year of 2 yr term) + 2 voted this year (2 yr term) = 9 total board members

Year 3: 1 appointed by PTFS + 1 appointed by HLT  + 2  (second year of 2 yr term) + 3 voted this year (2 year term) = 7 total board members

Year 4: 3 (second year of 2 yr term) + 4 voted this year  (2 year term) = 7 total board members

Year 5: 4 (second year of 2 yr term) + 3 voted this year  (2 year term) = 7 total board members

Anyway, it is just my thoughts as an alternative to PTFS/Liblime's proposal. I'm not invested in it, but maybe it is helpful. Or maybe not.

Edward