[Koha] email setup and documentation [Solved]

Msgr. Marion J. Makarewicz marmak3261 at att.net
Sat Oct 9 10:58:22 NZDT 2010

Sorry to have posted and then found the answer myself. I traced the problem
from one more try at understanding the errors in my mail.log and mail.err.
Turns out that since I was not running local DNS, I needed square brackets
around the SMTP:[host.name.net] entry in the mailertable.db. I'll do my best
to document email setup as I did it and post to the wiki.

Marion

>I have been able to go through all the steps for a Koha 3.0 install on

>Ubuntu. Catalogue and circulation are all set up, imported from an existing

>Follett ILS. I am so impressed with this excellent software and a great
user

>community.

>One remaining issue is getting the email notifications to work on my

>network. I can find minimal postings in the lists and no specific how to in

>the documentation as to setting up email.

>This is a school environment and I have an email server already running

> (Dovecot) handling all the local faculty and student email accounts.

>My Koha box is distinct. How do I get the email notifications to relay to

>the mail server? I've tried it with sendmail configured on the Koha
machine.

>I can deliver to local users. I'm trying to understand MX entries, relays,

>and wondering if I have to set up a DNS server. I do have all the machines

>figured to static IP addresses and host names.

>Any pointers in the right direction? A recent thread seemed to be solved

>with Postfix, but not knowing the network configuration, I'm not sure
what's

>next. One suggestion was nullmailer. Perhaps it's just that sendmail is so

>challenging in its setup. I have had experience with sendmail and that's
why