[Koha] email setup and documentation

Msgr. Marion J. Makarewicz marmak3261 at att.net
Sat Oct 9 10:03:40 NZDT 2010

I have been able to go through all the steps for a Koha 3.0 install on
Ubuntu. Catalogue and circulation are all set up, imported from an existing
Follett ILS. I am so impressed with this excellent software and a great user
community.

One remaining issue is getting the email notifications to work on my
network. I can find minimal postings in the lists and no specific how to in
the documentation as to setting up email.

This is a school environment and I have an email server already running
(Dovecot) handling all the local faculty and student email accounts.

My Koha box is distinct. How do I get the email notifications to relay to
the mail server? I've tried it with sendmail configured on the Koha machine.
I can deliver to local users. I'm trying to understand MX entries, relays,
and wondering if I have to set up a DNS server. I do have all the machines
figured to static IP addresses and host names.

Any pointers in the right direction? A recent thread seemed to be solved
with Postfix, but not knowing the network configuration, I'm not sure what's
next. One suggestion was nullmailer. Perhaps it's just that sendmail is so
challenging in its setup. I have had experience with sendmail and that's why
I've tried it first.

In many respects this may be off topic, but considering that Koha is
available as a turn-key solution, it seems that a little more clarity on
what else is needed to configure to enable it to use full functionality,
much like the documentation is clear on how to set up the MySQL database,
and then you can forget about it.

Thanks for all the help.

Marion